Sunday, June 2, 2013

As our Garden Grows!

Our son called the other day and was talking about the garden.  We showed him the garden using face-time.  While talking to him he couldn't believe how everything was looking. Here are some of the goodies we showed him.

The onions are about the size of base-balls.  We have to admit it is exciting because this is the first year we have tried these types of onions.



The Swiss chard is still growing strong.


Our Fennel is doing great and we planted some more because we love to roast it with some olive oil sprinkled with salt and pepper then garnished with some freshly grated Parmesan.



And our Peppers are growing wonderfully right now.  We have an assortment of bells, banana, anaheim and jalapeno.  







This is our egg plant.  We have already cooked a few,  and they are as fresh and tasty as they look.


Butternut Squash are also showing some growth.  


We believe that one reason things are doing well this year is because of the help from our girls (and boy).  


They have given us a nice supply of fertilizer for the compost.  The compost we used in the garden was cured all winter.

Also the pear trees are loaded this year. 


One of the disappointing crops this year is our blueberries.  When most of the blooms were out we got a late freeze, and those blooms dropped, so we are only going to get about a sixth of the berries we were hoping for.  Of the berries we are getting, they look to be large.





Once again, a slice of what is growing around Sweet Pickles Farm.
Hopefully soon we will be able to share some of it being put to use in the kitchen.
This post is copyrighted by http://sweetpicklesfarm.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good and healthy in your veggie (& fruit) garden. Is that a red onion in the 2nd picture? I always buy them and am now wondering if it would be worth a try to grow my own.
    The blueberry crop may be small, but they look so good. Supposedly blueberries grow well in these parts, but we haven't had any luck. I think I need to find some of that good fertilizer you are using :).
    Thanks for your recent comment. How cool that you are restoring an old Chambers stove. Please feature it in a future post. I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is a red onion. They are bigger than the yellow ones. We hope to be harvesting them soon. As for the Chambers stove we'll be working on a post soon.

      Delete
  2. Everything is growing so nicely!! I wish I had the space for a vegatable garden ....

    Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your garden is looking lovely. I have been working so hard on mine but have so much to go.

    I didn't have any compost being our first 6 weeks on the farm. Chickens are definitely in our future and my compost bins are built.

    Hugs,

    Valerie
    Cottage Making Mommy
    www.lovingmyheartandhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly has made such a big difference using our own compost. We have been visiting our daughter and it is hard having to throw away kitchen waste since they live in an apartment. Wish we could pack it and take it home, but that isn't practical...chickens are definitely a bonus for the compost, not to mention for the eggs! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I have yet to figure out just what will grow and when to plant it. I have a few things growing in the garden right now. One of them certainly surprised me the other day. I wanted to fix a steak sandwich and so I got some peppers. I thought I had sweet read peppers as the little plaque said....well you by now the rest of the story. I read that milk takes away the burning from the lips but didn't think it a good idea to pour it in my eyes later as I took out my contacts. Oh my I was a mess. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Yes, you can't forget that you have handled hot peppers-it is amazing how many times we touch our eyes without realizing it..ouch! We always do a bunch of research whenever we try growing something new, but there is nothing like trial and error experience to teach yourself and remember it! We have found that we love banana peppers cut in half (seeds removed), brushed with olive oil mixed with a bit of balsamic vinegar, and sprinkled with salt and pepper, then roasted at 425 until browned and tender on each side. It is amazing what flavors that simple method brings forth, and banana peppers are prolific for us. Come visit again! :)

      Delete