When the winds started it never stopped for hours and hours. The winds stripped all the leaves off the trees and even the shrubs. Many of the limbs of the trees that were left standing were broken. It made the property look like a barren waste land. Because of the amount of damage we had, there was no way we could clean it up by ourselves. So the "Corp of Engineers" came in and helped clean our property. When it was all said and done, we had to start with property that was literally stripped. So where to start? Before the storm we had just built our home. In fact we moved in only a week before Katrina. The house was still not finished, and the man who did our site work scraped most of the top soil off. Not realizing what he had done and the damage from the storm, we were at a loss as to how to pick up where we left off, wanting to create gardens for food and beauty. The more we learned about our plot of land the more we realize what damage the contractor contributed. We now think he did way more than the storm.
Because of the storm and the contractor, the ecology was all messed up. The grasshoppers and crickets came out strong looking for anything that was green and still growing. After searching the web, we found that chickens are one of the best bug controllers and natural fertilizers to be had. So we got hooked on the idea, which was not that hard as we love animals. We began to realize that all we had ever known were people that gardened with chemical fertilizers. The more we read and researched, the more we wanted to build our gardens on natural principles. We started with chickens. Chickens need a shelter. More research.
The platform was an old wooden screen room project that never got finished. We were about to burn it when we got the idea to use it as the base of what you see here.
Next we added steps and the run.
For the run we used landscape timbers because they are only a few dollars a post. Plus we kept the walls at 6ft. because the hardware cloth was the 36" wide type. We then covered part of the run with tin so the chickens would have shade.
Then we made a private entrance for them
so as to enter the run..
After all this we are greeted every morning with a friendly bok!!!
Now we enjoy our return with fresh eggs, great insect controllers and hot fertilizer.
The photo's are from a couple of years ago. We are in the process of redoing the coop with some fresh paint. At least you have a glimpse as to our beginning stages of "Sweet Pickles Farm".
This post is copyrighted by http://sweetpicklesfarm.blogspot.com/